T Minus Three Days!
… And so the countdown begins! Before I depart halfway across the world, I thought I’d give myself a break from packing and give all of you a bit of background information on Brisbane and Australia in general. Nothing fancy, just some trivia I thought was interesting.
- The tropical north of Australia is home to the world’s largest crocodiles. Full-grown males can grow to a length of 6 meters, or 20 feet.
- But that’s ok- only one or two people per year get eaten by crocodiles.
- There are 20 million people in Australia, and 150 million sheep.
- Big surprise- Australia is the largest exporter of sheep wool.
- Population density in Australia is calculated in km^2 per person, rather than people per km^2.
- In 1824, a governor sent a difficult group of convicts to found a colony in Queensland.
- Children now send their difficult parents and grandparents to this colony, Brisbane, to retire.
I leave the Rochester airport at 2:40 PM Friday… wish me luck, everyone! I won’t be posting for a day or two after I land, due to jetlag and getting settled in in Brisbane. Expect to see pictures and a new blog shortly thereafter, however! 🙂